Gerunds and Infinitives
Pete:Hey Kate, is that a new iPad?
Kate: Yeah. I just got it.
Pete: Wow. It looks sweet, not cheap though.
Kate: No, it was quite expensive but I'll get my money’s worth out of it.
Pete: Really? What are you going to use it for?
Kate: Well. I’m going to use it for
checking my Facebook and Twitter all the time so I can
keep in touch with friends and I’m going to use it to play
games too. I love playing games but hopefully I won't
spend too much time doing that.
Pete: Ah, I wonder. Well, what about using it for checking your e-mails?
Kate: Emails, yeah, I guess I could
check my emails but hey, emails are so yesterday right?
Pete: Yeah, well, I’m getting a little behind the times. Guess I better think of getting one myself when I have some money.
Gerunds and Infinitives - Grammar Notes
- I use my smart phone to check sport scores.
- I use my smart phone for checking sport scores.
- I use my camera to take pictures of birds.
- I use my camera for taking pictures of birds.
- I use my car just to get to work.
- I wear this hat to block the sun.
- I shop there to save money.
- I use social media to spy on people.
- I am thinking of having dinner soon.
- I learn best by doing things.
- I am excited about taking this course.
- I plan on having children soon.
- He wastes his time reading comics.
- She often spends her time helping others.
- We enjoy playing sports.
- We regret leaving early.